Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Turnback Tuesday

Sometimes I'm reminded of things for no apparent reason, earlier this week I had such a thought. I don't think I ever shared it on this but at the time I remember thinking it would be appropriate for something like a blog.
During my first full year here in Brazil I had 5 hours per week of Portuguese classes and we completed two lesson books during that year. In these classes we had some regularly appearing exercises to practice different important activities. Sometimes I had to discuss vacations I would like to take (with an unlimited budget, of course),
Tropical Luxury Vacations
My Dream- A house on stilts over the ocean
My reality- a house on stilts over a swamp

 













other times I made comparisons based on a topic for the day. On this specific day the activity was about giving directions to different destinations in the city and surrounding areas. One of the destinations was a nearby city where the person would have to get on a hard to find highway.
After finishing the class for that day I began walking home and was stopped by a couple in a fancy car asking how to get on this highway I had just given directions to in my class activity. I eagerly put into practice this lesson I had just learned and helped them get on the road to their destination, hopefully they arrived.

It's hard to believe that we left for Brazil almost two years ago. Our life experiences have been adjusted to nearly two years of living in a foreign developing country. I know there are many things I have missed out on by living in a different country (celebrating the first major championship in a long time by a sports team from my state; oh yeah and of course my family), but there are also experiences and friendships I've had living here in Brazil I wouldn't have thought possible.

I'll try hard to share my unreal experiences but for now I'll just share some pictures we have accumulated during our time here in Brazil.
The street in front of our house completely flooded during a storm

Too busy studying Portuguese to pose for a picture
 
Ok fine, we'll take a break.
 


I guess we did one nice overnight stay, an usie

Half my class hard at work, you don't want to see the other half.

It's hard to tell who they're cheering for.

No comments:

Post a Comment